UNDER CONSTRUCTION




Tuesday, March 24, 2009

By George!


Looking at photos of the 'Old Loo', each one evoking a tale. Mums Dad was a South African, he was Jewish and of German descent, her Mum was a Liverpudlian Catholic. Uncles and aunts were, Dutch, Irish and Scottish. I am told my accent, as a child, was a mixture of all these influences. Personally, I preferred the Woolloomooloo ('Loo') accent with their 'aves and 'aven'ts' much to Mum's grief. Out with the Smiths, in with the Beats.


In the late '50s the Smiths moved into 82 (see No. 82 behind Nanny Hoffman). They were from Malta. What a delight! Mary and Joe Smith had six children ages ranged from five to twenty, the kids in Brougham Street had an instant new friend.


Sadly the Smiths relocated. They were however, replaced in the 60’s. We were entertained by the new arrivals, 'The Beatniks'. Paul and his girlfriend, a tall pregnant (heaven forbid) young lady, AND she was barefooted! And, there was George. I took a fancy to George.

George was shuffled off our veranda by Mum. "Get him out of here before your father gets home" she screamed, he’s a girl Lynette. Can't you smell the perfume?", the scent was 'Taboo'

The long red ponytail and singular golden ear-ring added to the feminine allusion. George peered out at me through black horned-rimmed glasses and announced he was saving to go to England and was working as a part-time artist’s model at
East Sydney Tech. I thought the ice-cream he bought me from the old Chinese fruit shop in Victoria Street. George, I believe, frequented The Royal George Hotel.

He took me for a walk to Elizabeth Bay and, somehow, I manage to meet him at the Ironworker's Building, a known communist hang near Circular Quay and we 'hand shuffled' to Graeme Bell’s traditional jazz band. I was so grown up ..me and all the beatniks! Sue Toohey and I went there often.

Couldn't find any Graeme Bell tracks today, but searching thru the op shops I found a tape of Jeanne Lewis doing Piaf, (click here) for a comprehsive site on Edith Piaf aka Little Sparrow





Edith Piaf "Non Je Regrette Rein" (1961)




No comments:

Post a Comment