UNDER CONSTRUCTION




Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Granma's Pianola


Words such as ‘musical career’ are tongue-in-cheek as I am a 'shower crooner' and a 'couch guitarist'.
Climbing up on Granma’s pianola stool was the highlight of my day. Peddling away like a little trooper - "We’ll Build A Blue Room" and "Tea For Two". I’d thump out song after song, singing and oft likened to Sophie Tucker, (a popular Jewish singer in the olden days. I think I drove my Grandma crazy. My Grandad however, would have been impressed.

When I had exhausted my pianola repertoire, I’d hop off the chair sort through the sheet music, climb back on and proceed to play a chosen piece with the old Every Good Boy Deserves Fruit and F A C E method. Eventually the tune became recognizable. Proud as punch I’d play the same notes simultaneously (using both hands)!


"Nanny, nanny, look at me I can play with two hands like Mummy."


"Roobbish," she'd retort.

My musical career blossomed and I began writing songs and putting my own musical sheet to it. I loved those musical notes with their black balls and sticks, 'specially the double ones, joined at the top and or bottom!

On rainy days I would sit behind the armchair reading 'The Man in the Grey Flannel Suit' and listen to Eartha Kitt.

Promptly at 4.45 pm I would bolt home. Dinner was served at 5.00 p.m. on the dot. If I had a few minutes spare, I would select a 78 rpm, carefully place it on our you beaut '3-in-one' radiogram. The crackling sound as the needle passed over the grooves made me shiver with delight. Then, "Yellow Rose of Texas", "How Much is that Doggy in the Window?", "Don't Make me Go to Bed and I'll be Good", Rosemary Clooney singing Hank William's "Half As Much", Vic Damone's "Tzena Tzena Tzena", "Goodnight Irene" and the sweetest song I ever did hear "Kisses Sweeter Than Wine" by Jimmy Rogers. I had a soft spot for Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy's "Sweet Mystery of Life", "Rose Maree" and "Indian Love Call" ' ♫♫ When I'm Calling You" oo, oo, oo, oo, oo, ooooo ... ♫♫' The sweetest couple I ever did hear. I think I'm going to be a Canadian Mountie.



Jeanette MacDonald "Indian Love Call"


Sophie Tucker "Some of These Day" original 1911 recording - music only.


Found a 'you beaut' McDonald and Eddy vinyl in the 2nd hand store today .. Jan 11, 09

"Sweet Mystery of Life" is to be added to my Funeral CD


No comments:

Post a Comment