UNDER CONSTRUCTION




Tuesday, March 24, 2009

On the Radio



My first radio I called my Mickey Mouse radio, it would join me at nights, under my blankets …. it was my secret, and I played it ever so softly. The back was hanging off exposing wires and such - I was oblivious to the danger. I loved waiting until a song finished and would strain my ears as the music faded. I believed if you listened hard enough the sound would never stop.

"No, you can't take your transistor fishing Lynette!"
Well, I did and, yes I left in on a rock, and yess it got very wet and was ruined.

Mr. Seckold gave me my first transistor radio known affectionately as a 'trannie' by us teenagers. Mr. Seckold, who was one of our boarders was the only exception to Mum's 'No
Drunk's Allowed’ rule. Mr. Seckold would make a bee-line to his room after a day's work at Goodyear's (bottom of William St). It was a hoot to peek into his room, he would sit in his armchair sneering and grimacing at himself in the mirror. Shit, he may have been sneering at us peeking. I guess he may have heard the shuffling and giggling. After all Mr. Seckold was nuts, but not deaf.


The Metro Theatre also referred to as The Minerva (it stood on the
original Minerva Estate). The Metro Theatre was very plush and us older kids would frequent there on Saturday afternoons. During interval we'd nick over to the Rex Hotel hoping to catch a glimpse of visiting celebrities. To recall a few: Desmond Tester and The Mouseketeers. Chubby Checker, Sheena, Cisco Kid, Duane Eddy and Brenda Lee.
My grandma threw out all my treasures in 1965 this included all my autographs treasured early Beatles autographs and photos. As she said, “paper was joost roobbish”! Since 1959 I had listed every song as I heard it......this went with out with the 'roobbish'.


No comments:

Post a Comment