UNDER CONSTRUCTION




Monday, March 23, 2009

1947 Little Abodigeree



I was unaware that I was in number 84 Brougham Street, Kings Cross. I was in fact in the backyard in my Nanna’s boarding house - there were lots of people smiling at me. Mummy’s brother and sisters, boarders, great uncles and aunts and ‘Aunty’ Jean. Aunty Jean McGinty wasn’t a real aunty but all old people were called aunts and uncles when I was little.

I can't imagine what it was like for my very young mum of 18 to be hastily married to the 'old' man down the road and begin her married life in a balcony flat with a little baby. Water was lugged up and down the stairs, food was kept in iceboxes which needed daily changing. The 'money' for the 'tucker' was doled out to her daily.

'Uncle' Vic called me his ‘little Abodigerie’ - I had a thatch of black hair and was very tanned like my Daddy.


Laying down was not for me and by two months I preferred to sit .. didn’t sit for long and was soon galloping around on all twos at six months. Baby talk wasn’t an option and I decided to speak to my elders in like manner by nine months.

Our family owned a block of Terrace Houses- boarding houses from numbers 76 to 88 1/2 Cnr. Hourigan Lane, the rooms were rented to single men, mostly 'refugees' from Europe.

I spoke several bits and pieces of assor
ted languages, and my accent was most unusual I am told.

Mummy and Daddy moved from 84 into the front flat at 88 1/2, I packed my bags and followed, as I didn’t want to miss my birthday celebrations. I made it to one! I must have been a very talented child as here I am lighting my first birthday cake.

Still in nappies on my first birthday?!?, well they will have to go and then I will take my potty up and down the street to show everyone that I do not need a nappy anymore!



Lots of people lived in our boarding houses: Mr Augustus (the leather goods maker), Mr. Nom Nom (Nomic) and a great the lady named Betty who gave me a walking doll as tall as me – I believe Daddy pawned it, he pawned lots of things to play the ‘gee gees’.


Dad moved to Woolloomooloo in the late 1920s, from Harbord. He attended Plunkett Street School, Woolloomooloo and repeated 6th class 3 times until he was of age to leave. Mummy had to knock a lot of the ‘Loo out of him with his ave and ‘aven’ts – Nanny Hoffman must have come from the ‘Loo in Liverpool as she too liked to drop her ‘atches’ also.




Harbord Public School 1925

I was a 'gifted' child and most agreed that my Winston Churchill look was quite commendable.

No comments:

Post a Comment