UNDER CONSTRUCTION




Tuesday, March 24, 2009

What's with the Bonnets?


My Mummy must not have liked my hair very much as she covered it with bonnets ....

Get that thing off my head!


I rather liked this 'hat' -
Mummy made Nanny Hoffman wear hers too, so that's OK Mummy's wearing a bow, she liked bows, I didn't, but that's another story.


Here I am with Nanny, saying goodbye to Aunty Eva, she was always 'off to the States'

Standing in Uncle Les' plumbing truck 'avec la/le bonnet'.
Les, Lulla and old Mrs McArthur lived in No: 86
We couldn't move them out as they were protected tenants - The Fair Rents Act.


Me and Mummy outside 84, check out the platform shoes


Just me!

Oh yes, I may seem very happy in Park Street, but I can assure you I wasn't


1949 and we are back in Park Street again .. the bonnet remains

Seemed like a good idea to wear a bonnet for my job interview at Woolworths, Kings Cross. I did not get the position until I was fifteen.

There you have it 'me and me bonnets' - soon to be replaced by goddam bows!

1 comment:

  1. diane said...
    Fantastic post! Love it. Just think your mum was protecting you from the sun and risk of cancer before they even knew that sun caused cancer. She was ahead of her time or maybe just fashion conscious. Can't wait for more.

    July 17, 2008
    virgolynne said...
    Hi Diane, I have been over to your site and am enjoying your the photos of your travels.

    July 19, 2008 mandy said...
    Oh you were soooo cute....lol

    Loved the bonnets...When my daughter was a baby I used to put little ribbons in her hair...It`s a girlie thing....

    July 24, 2008
    Lucy said...
    Love these pictures!

    ReplyDelete