UNDER CONSTRUCTION




Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Queen Victoria Building




The Queen Victoria Building (QVB) is situated on a city block, George, York and Market Streets. In 1963 the Queen Victoria housed the offices of the Sydney County Council. 

Facing demolition in the '80s, heritage stepped in and the QVB was restored and is now a shopping complex ..


My first position was in the mail-room,  I was working with peers, my wage, eight pounds per week. This was an excellent income for a young girl. I continued my studies at East Sydney Technical College, with evening courses in advanced Shorthand and English, it was another year before I was given a promotion. 














The Sydney County Council (S.C.C.) located in the Queen Victoria Biulding (Q.V.B) dealt in the sale of electrical appliances, 'Cooking with Electricity' demonstrations, electricity accounts etc., conditions were excellent - it was 'cushy', with overtime, penalty rates, tea money, several breaks, an hour lunch, uniforms, holiday pay and long service leave.  I sat for an exam and was moved on up to the position of shorthand/typist in Sales, located in York Street.

The Council's Social Club arranged 'theatre parties' at reduced rates, to theatres, movies, restaurants, this included Sydney Stadium, Astor Motel, Theatre and the Chevron Hotel. 



I was sixteen, the Supremes were cooing in the background, girl groups were popular including The Crystals, Ronettes, Shangri Las, Shirelles and The Exciters. 

The surfing craze temporarily dominated the fashion, airwaves and Kings Cross Theatre was converted into our first live band venue. I took up the guitar.

The Beatles were just about to invade the world !!

I never quite fitted the mould, cardigans, hairspray, make-up, stockings and high-heels - little carbon copies of their mothers, was not my style.


I continued to work in governmental departments,  including University of New South Wales, Solicitors, Foundation for Treatment of Drug Addicts and Alcoholics (FRATTAD), The Chamber of Commerce, Insurance and later on Libraries and Historical Societies. 

During the 80s I relocated to Yamba and purchased a stationery store/secretarial business, Yamba Office Supplies.






No comments:

Post a Comment