UNDER CONSTRUCTION




Tuesday, March 24, 2009

1962 Dover Height Girls High


1962  courtesy Willem Kuling

What huge classes we had in those days. I am at the far end near the stair-well. Standing to the left is Mrs. Rowe, a magnificent teacher she brought to our attention  "A Brave New World", "1984", "Fahrenheit 451" and "Animal Farm" at that point in time these books were not part of our curriculum and were definitely not endorsed by the Education Department.

School Song, sung to the tune of 'Tom the Piper's Son'

"Dover Heights our song to thee, Dover Height we glory thee, Dover Heights all praise to thee, Glory, Honour, Dignity"















Photo: Catherine 'Kitty' McDonald, Liz Malone, Diane Willard, Sue Drake-Brockman, Lorraine Radford. I'm not in it!

In 1960 I transferred from Darlinghurst Public School to Dover Heights Girls High School. I soon organised a crew around me and we stumbled through life's little twists and turns together; discovering boys, make-up, and the freedom of listening to 'our' special music, mostly 'popsy' love songs. Having the odd puff on a ciggie, surfing, ice-skating etc., Saturday arvos at the 'pictures', jumping on and off the school bus, wagging school and hanging around the old tram shed at Rushcutter's Bay. High school brought many new adventures.

One of our favourite journeys was our many trips to the Sydney Stadium.
Gene Pitney, Ricky Nelson, Bobby Rydell, Bobby Vee, Crash Craddock, Johnny Tillotson, Del Shannon, Shirelles, Paris Sisters on and on I could go. The early '60s singers were polished and sang a new style of 'pop' mainly appealing to young teens. Roy Orbison was of course, the greatest, but I had a soft spot for Bobby Vee.


Me and Bobby Vee. Bobby was about to go on! Scampering across many legs (and laps), I waited at the entrance for my darling - the giant of the radio, the man with the golden voice, my link to Buddy Holly - would he be 'real'!!! Could he be real? Dashing towards a man in a suit with his hair bouffanted at least a foot high I looked him squarely in the eye. "Have you seen Bobby Vee". The face beneath the hair smiled. To my utter horror it was none other than he (him), Bobby! My mouth dropped as I gasped in shock. Now, me being 12 and not so tall for my age, well, you get the picture. I don't think I was ever the same again .. not that I have anything against short people. Utube Mr Velline

I have lost contact with these girls and we were so close for so many years, I am hoping to find them throughout this journey.


1 comment:

  1. Do you know if Mrs. Rowe in the above photo,is the same Mrs. Rowe who became the headmistress of Narrabeen Girls' High School in 1967?
    P.S. Your writing style makes the history very interesting and an enjoyable read - maybe you have a talent and should write a book.

    ReplyDelete